The diaper bag is basically our core piece of mom-gear. Whether that takes on the shape of a shoulder bag, backpack, or other hybrid option, you've got to have those essentials whenever you leave for any kind of adventure. But what is absolutely essential, and what's not? As a mom of 5, I'm going to tell you our tried and true bug-out necessities… And what you really don't need, too.
Ok, just for the fun of it, let's start with what you don't need. Please, by all means, feel free to completely ignore these, but over the course of 5 babies in a row, this is what we discovered we could really do without (and was clogging up valuable diaper bag space).
Diaper bag non-necessities
- Multiple Blankets – Take one. If you absolutely have to. But you don't need 2 or 3 or 5.
- Baby Hygiene Items – It's okay, baby can wait to have his/her nails clipped, ears cleaned, skin lotioned, etc until you get back from your outing. Really, I promise.
- 10 Kinds of Snacks – A couple is good, but you don't need the whole pantry. And if–God forbid–you run out, give baby some of what you're having (mashed or chopped or whatever). Broaden those little horizons.
I know, I'm the diaper bag police. Whatevs. You'll thank me later. Now let's talk what you actually DO need.
Diaper bag necessities
- Diapers & Wipes – Yeah, that kinda goes without saying. Ahem–diaper bag–ahem.
- Baby Clothes – One pair should do it, unless baby is sick or has been in an extra pukey phase. Then you might want two. But up until 18 months or so you're definitely taking a chance if you don't have an extra set along for the ride.
- Pacifier – My youngest doesn't take these. But if yours does, you should DEFINITELY make sure you have an extra stashed in the bag.
- Stroller – Wait, I know what you're thinking. "That doesn't go in the diaper bag, silly!" But you're wrong. When your head stops spinning, watch this.
So now that your mind is officially blown (and as my husband says, you're on your knees begging, "What must I do to be saved?!"), let me say this. Though I had my doubts, I can assure you that the gb Pockit is everything it's cracked up to be. It does a darn good job–functions very similarly to an umbrella stroller, but has a sturdy bottom basket and obviously folds down to essentially nothing. NINE POUNDS. That's all it weighs. And fits in pretty much any bag.
#playtime at the park. Made 1000x better by the @gbchildusa #gbpockit allowing me to run around with them today. ? #sp #IC #smalleststrollerintheworld #guinnessworldrecord #babygear #stroller #sahmlife #wahm #familytravel #kidtravel #familyadventures #travelwithkids #travelstroller #compactstroller #tinytraveler
If you're ready to go get yours, all you have to do is hop over to Babies R Us. They come in a beautiful spectrum of colors, and the cover is 100% machine washable (that was a major bonus for me)! If you have any questions at all, feel free to comment on this post or tweet me at @jorniecom, and don't forget to share that video if you're as excited as I am about this awesome stroller!